BUY READY TO PLANT CHRISTMAS TREES >>
When you're ready to sow and grow your Christmas tree seeds, here are some notes we hope will help....
- Break the dormancy by soaking in water for 24 hours. Drain well and then store in a loosely sealed polythene bag in the fridge for 4-6 weeks. Adding a little damp vermiclite to the bag can help to keep the seeds moist whilst soaking up any excess moisture. Open the bag several times during this period to check and seeds have not dried out and to allow air to circulate.
- Sow the seeds on the surface of a pot of firmed down compost, mixed with a little sand if you have it, and lightly cover with a sprinkling of compost, vermiculite or grit. Keep moist and at a temperature of 15-20°C. Germination should begin in a few weeks.
- Once the seedlings are established, and depending on the time of year, gradually acclimatise them and move to a sunny, fairly sheltered spot initially. Re-pot in the dormant season as required.
- If trees are intended for indoor use during the festive season, growing on in a container will limit their height, make them easier to lift, keep the roots intact and reduce needle shed.
- Ground grown trees can grow around 75cm per year, reaching an ultimate height of 30m so plant well away from buildings and power lines!
christmas tree seeds - christmas seeds - xmas tree seeds